The pursuit of happy trails

Nothing in my horse-crazy childhood prepared me for the incredible journey that I embarked on in the spring of 2005 when I bought my own horse. Not the endless hours of playing with my Breyer models, nor the countless horse books I checked and re-checked out of the library, nor all of the lessons and trail rides, and not even the pony I finally convinced my parents to buy me when I was 11.

Horse ownership as an adult - after a 15+ year hiatus from the horse world - has been a veritable trail of blood, sweat, and many tears. Not to say there haven't been moments of joy. But clearly I was supposed to actually learn something along the way - and hardly ever the easy way.

But it's those lessons that have gotten me to where I am now. And where I am now is oddly close to where I began nearly two years ago, in some ways. But that's a post for another day...

The picture in this post was taken while on vacation in Moab, UT in April of 2005. Picasso was my noble trail horse. It was during this vacation that I made the decision to buy Francesca, the mare I had tried out before leaving for Utah. Maybe it was the wide open spaces or the clean mountain air, but something told me she was supposed to be mine. And that's really where our journey together began.

No comments: