Peaks and valleys

In March of 2006, when winter was on its last gasp, it was time once again for Francesca and me to move on. The owners of the current barn had decided to sell, and my friend and I found ourselves driving around in search of another barn that would suit our needs. Anyone who has gone through the experience of moving a horse know hows stressful it can be for both horse and owner. Francesca and I were becoming reluctant experts at it.

Through a friend of my boyfriend, I had gotten the number of a woman with a barn not far from my house that sounded like it might work. My friend and I wasted no time in seeing it. When we got there, a bonfire was smoldering in the yard, seeming friendly and warm on that soggy, chilly day. Chickens ran around freely, and dogs and cats came up to greet us. It was more of a farm than a stable, and while it wasn't fancy, it had a beautiful setting among hills, pastures and woods. Most importantly, they had room for four horses. We dug the horse trailer out from its cocoon of snow and moved the next day.

March in Minnesota guarantees three things: snow, rain and mud. The paddock where our horses were kept was evidence of this. Muck boots were essential, and grooming Francesca was pointless. There was no place for the horses to get out of the mess, and between the confinement, the conditions, and the inevitable boredom, they became increasingly irritable with each other. I ached for warm winds to dry up the paddock, then later cursed the peaks and valleys that formed because of it.

The mud played a part in another setback. Francesca slipped on a cement foundation in the paddock and ended up with nasty cuts on her left hind leg, leaving her swollen and bleeding. So began the unpleasant process of hosing off her wounds every day and wrapping her leg. (Needless to say, I was having flashbacks.) The cold water was even less fun for Francesca than for me. I could practically see her clenching her teeth as the icy water ran down her leg, but she stood still through it. Certainly she didn't deserve this. Bad luck just seemed to keep finding us. And it wouldn't be the last time.

No comments: